SEON's API-based architecture makes our solution extremely flexible. Integrate different APIs – with various unique parameters and timeouts – to different parts of your user journey. Prevent fraud by using the right tools at the right time.
Our most popular APIs you’ll come across are:
- Fraud API: SEON’s proprietary modular API combines our email, phone number, and IP APIs with device fingerprinting so that you can request and receive our enriched data, rules, and scoring in a single API call.
- Email API: Our standalone email enrichment tool that will help you learn about the approximate minimum age of an email address, its provider, and any connected online profiles.
- Phone API: Unlock insights into a user's phone number's history, and social or digital profiles connected to it, using SEON's standalone phone number enrichment solution.
- IP API: Identify suspicious VPN and proxy connections and pinpoint users with accurate geolocation information relying on our standalone IP address data enrichment API.
- AML API: Complement your fraud prevention toolkit with anti-money laundering tools. AML API makes anti-money laundering checks efficient and pain-free.
- Device Fingerprinting: Integrate our JS module or SDK for iOS or Android to learn about the devices your customers are using to access your service. Identify quirky configurations that may hide fraudsters before they can cause any damage.
Please select the product you wish to use to quickly set up the optimal payloads for your use-case
Choose your setup
Please choose your backend environment for quick integration
Please choose your industry to see relevant example payloads
Please choose your use case to see relevant example payloads
Available Digital Footprint Analysis modules are:
Check the Admin Panel overview to learn more about the interface.
Risk Scores can be customized in the Admin Panel.
Please refer to the SDK references to use our device fingerprinting functionality.
Our API uses a standard HTTP Authorization header. This protects your account and the data within it, so only you and SEON can access them.
You must provide authentication for all API requests using the following format:
Licence key component only supported for logged in users
In case of problems with the API request payload or authentication, SEON returns specific error codes in the error property of the response body. You should be able to understand the exact issue based on the returned error codes.
Rate limits are in place to prevent misuse and overloading of our systems. The limit takes into account all requests with a specific license key, not individual API requests.
There is a 2 request/second limit for trial accounts. After the trial period, this limit increases to 10 requests/second.
All client integrations should be able to cope with client-side timeout responses to avoid timeout errors in case of degraded API performance. We recommend adding at least 500-1000 ms to the timeout set on the SEON's setting page when configuring timeout in your back-side API implementation.
At its core, our fraud prevention platform operates in three simple steps:
- You send user / transaction / device data.
- We enrich the data and deliver a risk score based on rules.
- You give feedback on the results.
You can find a detailed timeline here to see how long it takes to get results with SEON.
Step 1 – Providing the data
All the user, transaction and device data is sent via the Fraud API. Your first step is to define payloads for the API, populating it with as many relevant data points as possible. All the fields are optional, but the more you fill, the more precise our results will be.
- For custom business-specific data points, use the
- The config object helps you to fine-tune settings such as versions, response and aggregating data enrichment APIs, when required.
- You must define the authentication points aka.
purchaseetc.) where risk assessment data can be collected or fraud should be prevented.
Please get in touch with your dedicated account manager to tailor and validate your specific payloads.
Step 2 – Enrichment & Scoring
SEON is designed to give you full transparency behind every score and decision (a.k.a. state). This is why every data point will be available in the response.
By default, the fraud scores are based on preset rules, which can be reviewed in the Scoring Engine. A score of 10+ is considered risky. Standard thresholds for each state are:
|APPROVE||0 - 10|
|REVIEW||10 - 20|
Step 3 – Feedback
Providing feedback is the key to refining the rules and getting more precise fraud scores. This is particularly important when discovering false positives and false negatives.
Every transaction state should therefore be set to the appropriate category:
|REVIEW||Suspicious transaction, not confirmed fraud yet.|
|DECLINE||Confirmed fraudulent transaction.|
You can also create categories of fraud reasons in the Machine Learning section of your Settings page, which support the Label API (e.g. chargeback, bonus abuser or postback data from payment: authorized, lost or stolen etc.)